Thursday 14 May 2009

Rhubarb!!

I have been very busy the last few days. No sewing, but I was offered some rhubarb, and of course I jumped at the chance. Coarse rhubarb can be chopped up and put in the freezer. If the rhubarb is left in for a while, it breaks down, so that lots of juice comes out, when it is defrosted. This makes great rhubarb wine. Finer rhubarb makes tarts or great jam. My husband is not a great lover of rhubarb and ginger jam, so I make rhubarb and orange jam. Recipe is below. 
The weather here is glorious. Beautiful blue skies, occasional white clouds and lots of warm, sunny hours. Long may it continue.
Enjoy the recipe!
tich
Rhubarb and Orange Jam
4lb rhubarb
3 sweet oranges
5lb sugar
1 pint water
1 lemon
Cut rhubarb into small pieces. Add grated rind and juice of oranges/lemon with sugar and water. Bring to boil until jellied.

1 comment:

  1. I love ruhbarb and finally got some planted in my garden a couple of years ago. I cut some this morning and made a ruhbarb sauce my husband and I ate for dessert today. It just consists of ruhbarb and sugar to taste - cook it until it is soft. It is really good over vanilla ice cream. I also like it make into pie but didn't have time for that today.

    ReplyDelete